Friday, September 14, 2012

loving london.

So, I visited London today.
Yea, I can cross that off my dreams checklist. :)

First off, it was beautiful. I can't even begin to tell you just how beautiful the city is. Walking down the street you'll pass cathedrals and monuments that have been around for centuries, and then right next to those would be modern shops and businesses. It was so interesting to see the past and present collide, in a way I have never seen in the States before.

Well, we started the day taking a train to get into the city. (On a sidenote, I think trains might be one of my favorite forms of public transportation.) We got off at Waterloo Station and headed right into the city. None of us girls really had a plan... or an idea of where to go... or a map. But honestly, I wouldn't have done it any other way. There were so many signs and maps around the city that we never got lost. We were able to head right to the London Eye, Parliament, and Big Ben. I couldn't wipe the silly grin off my face after I saw Big Ben for the first time. It was so crazy to see that awesome of a monument RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.
Next we visited Westminister Abbey which was... wow, beautiful. Such detail and the architecture was breathtaking. After that, Trafalgar Square and lunch!
Lunch was... interesting. It was our first time at a sit-down restaurant in the UK and we weren't 100% sure how they operate. But the staff was kind of rude and confusing, so it wasn't the best first experience. I definitely like British pubs more than restaurants so far! After lunch we went souvenir shopping for a bit and then headed to BUCKINGHAM PALACE. God, that place was just awesome. I know I keep saying how beautiful everything was, but I'm not joking when I say that. EVERYTHING WAS. Like Hyde Park, which we went through after Buckingham.
On our way back to Trafalgar Square and The National Gallery, we went down some ritzy avenues and saw upper class shoppes (definitely felt underdressed!). Kalee and I visited the National Gallery for a bit, which was really interesting because I've never been in an art gallery before, but I found it really cool to walk around and actually see real art for once. Especially since most of it was from the Renaissance era and I just took a class where we discussed some of the Renaissance artists and such.
Then we went on the London Eye, which was relaxing and cool to see how the city is laid out and watch the sun set over it!

We ended the day catching a train to Kingston where we went to The Kings Tun Pub (again!) for some food, and then home!

Overall, today was brilliant.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment